The Silent Monastic Bells of Inishowen

    The ancient monasteries of Inishowen owned bells which were used in holy ritual and at times of prayer in the monasteries. Some date back to the tenth century. The Bell of St Mura remained in Fahan parish until after the Great Famine when it was sold to a John McClelland of Dungannon. He exhibited it in the Great Exhibition of 1852 in Belfast. It is made of bronze and is encased in a highly-decorated shrine. The bell was…

Carrowmore – survey of monastic site 2013

A Geophysical Survey at Carrowmore Ecclesiastical Complex, Inishowen Max Adams and Colm O’Brien     Map Carrowmore1 Caption  Figure 1: Site of geosurvey at Carrowmore Map Carrowmore2 Caption Figure 2: Results of geoscan showing part of vallum or ditch of Carrowmore monastery.     At Carrowmore magnetic anomalies, strongly indicative of a hitherto unknown double sub-circular ditch-and-bank enclosure, were recorded in a gradiometer survey. This appears to have formed the setting for the historically attested Early Christian monastery of Both…